residents and service users



Welfare Reform

In early 2013 the coalition government will be introducing reforms that will affect every person of working age in receipt of benefits.

The main changes will be to the payment of housing benefit, the introduction of a benefit cap and a switch to Universal Credit. For working age households total benefits paid will be capped at £26,000 a year and this will be paid monthly, directly to claimants. Paying your rent will then become your responsibility as it will no longer be paid to us directly from housing benefit.

HMRCAdditionally Housing Benefit entitlement will be restricted to the rent for the a property which reflects the family size of the household. An example of this is tenants whose children have grown up and left home who will be faced with the choice of making up the shortfall in rent or moving to a smaller property.

Housing Benefit will also be cut by 10% for those claiming Jobseeker's Allowance for more than 12 months. 

The Government’s aim is to reduce dependency and encourage people to take more control over their lives. For many people this could be a positive thing, but budgeting for an entire month can also be a real challenge, not everyone has the resources or experience of budgeting that they will need to make sure they stay financially afloat. If you would like help with budgeting please get in touch with your Housing Officer. Contact details for Housing Officers

Over the coming year we will be talking to those of you in receipt of housing benefit to find ways of helping you manage the transition and to make sure your rent is paid. Talk to your housing officer for more information. We will also be using the newsletter to provide information on budgeting and credit unions. Read the latest Tenants' newsletter

All benefits listed below are expected to be affected by Welfare Reform. Please use the links for more information about how this might affect you and your family. 

Bereavement Allowance

 Carer’s Allowance

 Child Benefit

 Child Tax Credit

 Employment and Support Allowance (unless you get the support component)

 Guardian’s Allowance

 Housing Benefit

 Incapacity Benefit

 Income Support

 Jobseeker’s Allowance

 Maternity Allowance

 Severe Disablement Allowance

 Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widows Pension you started getting before 9 April 2001)

For more general information about benefits, please f www.dwp.gov.uk